Saturday, May 6, 2023

Sunday School Lesson, "The Good Shepherd" John 10:7-18

 THE GOOD SHEPHERD


John 10:7-19


THE GATEKEEPER

V:7 Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep.


There is but one truth and that comes through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

People say a lot of words. People make a lot of statements.

But it is only true if it agrees with the Word of God. You really can’t expect the truth from anyone that doesn't know the Word. Those who do know the Word may water it down so it fits their comfort level. The only sure way to know the truth is to study the Word of God for yourself.


A gate is a way to enter a place. Jesus is the gate for those who follow Him to heaven.

The shepherds made a fold for the sheep, a fenced area the sheep were kept in at night.

A gate was opened for the sheep to go out and graze during the day. Some say the shepherd would lay across the gate at night to protect the sheep. The Shepherd would probably set a fire to keep the predator animals away. Jesus is our sheepfold protector.


THE IDENTITY OF THIEVES AND ROBBERS

V:8 All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.


Jesus pointed the finger at the Chief Priest, Pharisees, and scribes. They were equipped with the Word to protect and lead the nation. They became a group that used their status for personal financial gain and status. They became thieves and robbers. They robbed the people of the truth by enforcing their traditions.


Mark 7:9-10

And he said to them: "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God to observe your own traditions!


They robbed the people of a relationship with God by enforcing dependence on them.



John 12:10-11

So the chief priests made plans to kill Lazarus as well, 11 for on account of him many of the Jews were going over to Jesus and putting their faith in him.

It was not in religious leaders best interest to let Jesus live and the Word of truth spread. They became agents of the devil, to steal, kill and destroy.


The Lord never leaves His people unprotected.


Ezekiel 34:11-12

"'For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will search for my sheep and look after them. 12 As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness."


The Jesus we serve provides a place of comfort, provides protection, and provides for our needs when we go out and come in. If I walk through the valley where there is a shadow of death, He is with me. Our lives are complete only in Jesus.



THE IDENTITY OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD

V:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.


Jesus spoke of His death. His mission was to die on the cross for you and me. All believers are His sheep. The wolves are those ministers who use the church for financial gain. Their interest is in the size of the donations rather than the spiritual growth of the members.


When pastors use bodyguards, helicopters, and planes to keep from touching the hands of the members they cease to be shepherds and become preachers for the dollar.


If a pastor has a bodyguard around him, He is saving himself, not the sheep. When trouble comes he want be laying across the sheep gate protecting them. The sheep will be left to the wolves. The pastor and the bodyguard will go in hiding while the sheep are scattered.


Those who preach for personal gain will never know the sheep and sheep will

never know their voice. They are just hired hands who are not committed to the

welfare of sheep.


The Good News is Jesus is the good shepherd that has laid down His life for us.

We are His sheep and know His voice through the study of the Word.


KNOWN BY THE SHEPHERD

V:14 "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father — and I lay down my life for the sheep.


Let us look at the phrase, I Am The Good Shepherd


English Greek Meaning

I am eimi I exist

Good Kalos Beautiful. Morally, honest, worthy


Shepherd poimen pastor cares for the flock

Watch over, provides for welfare


Sheep probaton dependant. timid, have square pupils

(no frontal vision , but 360 degree

perivilial vision) accurate hearing,

value (wool ),

excellent sense of smell



Jesus is the Good Shepherd because He is beautiful

Jesus is the Good Shepherd because he is honest

Jesus is the Good Shepherd because He is Trustworthy

Jesus is the Good Shepherd Because He is thoroughly moral

Jesus is the Good Shepherd because He is able

Jesus is the Good Shepherd because He is our provider

Jesus is the Good Shepherd because He is our protector

Jesus is the Good Shepherd because He has laid down His life for us.


Jesus knows His sheep because they were given to him by the Father.


John 6:39-40

And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me but raise them at the last day.


Jesus knows you intimately, just as the Father knows Him


Sheep are chosen

John 15:16

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit — fruit that will last.


Sheep are kept. Jesus mission is to lose none


The Sheep know Shepherd's voice because they have accurate hearing

The Sheep know the Shepherd because they can smell Him

The Sheep know the shepherd because they can see Him coming.


Sheep don’t have to see the Shepherd in front of them because they are led by Him


Any pastor that does not care for the sheep was not chosen by Jesus. They are

the present day thieves and robbers.


Ephesians 4:11-12

It was he (Jesus) who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God's people for works of service,


ONE SHEPHERD, ONE FLOCK

V:16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.


Jesus was speaking to the Jews. The other sheep are the Gentiles (you and me).

Jesus was looking past His resurrection to the work of the church.

Romans 1:16

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.


Jesus is no respecter of person, race, or nationality. He is an equal-opportunity Savior


All believers are adopted sons and daughters of the Lord.


Ephesians 1:4-7

In love 5 he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.




THE REASON FOR LOVE

V:17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life — only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."


Jesus has all power and all authority. He is the Good Shepherd.

Jesus volunteered to be the Good Shepherd

Because of His obedience, He is loved by the Father

Because of His obedience, He Loves His sheep



No comments:

Post a Comment