Saturday, January 30, 2021

This Week's Sunday School Lesson, "Hearing The Word By Faith", John 8:12-217 1/21/2021

     

HEARING THE TRUTH BY FAITH


John 8:12-27


Before the following conversation, Jesus was confronted by the Pharisees

who brought a woman into the temple caught in adultery to trick Him.

Jesus resolved the conflict by writing on the ground, perhaps the

sins of the accusers. All the accusers left except the woman. Jesus said to

her since there is no one to condemn you, I do not condemn you; sin no more.


NEED AN OPEN HEART TO RECEIVE DIVINE TRUTH

V:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." 

A. The more people heard Jesus teach the more followed Him. This was

     upsetting to the teachers of the Law. 

   1. They could recite the Word, but they had no true understanding of the

        Word. Therefore the Pharisees and other teachers walked and taught

        In darkness.

   2. The teachers of the Law listen to every Word Jesus taught to find fault

       to condemn Him.

B. Jesus taught Biblical doctrine with spiritual meaning that was above the   

     understanding of those who rejected Him.

   1. The words light and darkness are physical examples of spiritual truths.

   2. Jesus is the living truth. He is the way to all understanding of divine 

        knowledge.

   3. You and I do not have access to divine truth without belief in Jesus.

   4. When you read the Bible your heart must be open to receive the

        divine truth by faith.

   5. The Word of God is far beyond our fleshy understanding.

   6. Living according to the Word of God is living in the light even if

       you don’t fully understand it.


THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS IS ENOUGH

V:13 The Pharisees challenged him, "Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid." 

14 Jesus answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one.

A. All of us judge based on what we see backed up by what we believe.

    1. The problem is what we see is not the full story. 

   2. If we are not willing to listen to the one we judge, we will never know

       the full story.

   3. The Pharisees had made up their mind that Jesus was not truthful

        and therefore were not open to learning more.

   4. That had the light in front of them but preferred to remain in darkness.

   5. They had the truth in front of them but preferred to believe their own 

        lies. 

B. When you have a relationship with Lord you will know the truth and

      the Truth will set you free from lies and deceptions.

    1. One testimony of Jesus is what He does in your life.

    2. The Jews believed that it took the testimony two to confirm an action

         or belief.

    3. We have our faith in the Word and our knowledge of what Jesus has

         done in our lives is our testimonies.

    4. The Jews saw Jesus as a man from Galilee and refused to see Him as

        the Son of God. 


THREE WITNESSES: FATHER, SON, HOLY SPIRIT

V:16.  But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. 17 In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two men is valid. 18 I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me." 

19 Then they asked him, "Where is your father?"

"You do not know me or my Father," Jesus replied. "If you knew me, you would know my Father also." 

A. Decisions made according to God’s Word will always be right.

    1. Jesus came in the name of the Father. He followed the will of

        the Father.

    2. We have the testimony of Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

B. If you don’t know Jesus you will not know the Father. 

    1. The Jews knew of the Father, but they had no understanding of

          Him.

    2. They knew the Law as a tool for judgment but not as the way to

        salvation. 

    3. They knew all the prophecies concerning the coming of the Messiah

         but could not recognize Jesus as Him.

   4. There is no advantage of reading the Bible if you refused to believe.


THE CROSS, THE RESTORATION, HEAVEN

V:20.  He spoke these words while teaching in the temple area near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his time had not yet come. 

21 Once more Jesus said to them, "I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. Where I go, you cannot come." 

22 This made the Jews ask, "Will he kill himself? Is that why he says, 'Where I go, you cannot come'?" 

A. Jesus was teaching in the court of the women in the temple.

     1. There were 13 offering chest, 12 for the 12 tribes of Israel. And one

         for the women to place their offering.

     2. We need not worry about our enemies, because God is in control.

     3. The ruling Jews were the enemy of Jesus, but they could not touch

          Him until the Father said so.

B. Jesus pronounced judgment on all who refused to believe in Him.

    1. Jesus foretold His death, resurrection and His seat at the right hand

        of the Father.

        a. I am going away was His death

        b. Where I go was His resurrection

        c. You cannot come is His heavenly throne.

    2. Die in your sins is the judgment of nonbelievers.

    3. Notice the Jews did not ask Jesus what His statements meant.

    4. They based their conclusion on their own thoughts.

    5. Understanding God’s Word requires study and investigation.


BELIEF IS HEAVEN, UNBELIEF IS HELL

V:23.  But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am [the one I claim to be], you will indeed die in your sins." 

A. Jesus separates Himself from His earthly accusers.

    1. Am from above:

       a. I am Spirit

       b. I came from the Father

       c. I was sent by the Father

   2. In comparison; you are from below.

      a. You are from this world.

      b. You are flesh and blood

      c. You are controlled by the influence of Satan.

 B. Jesus gives judgment to the unbelieving world.

      1. Without faith in Jesus, you will die in your sins

      2. Redemption is only possible through faith in Jesus.

      3. Jesus is the only redeemer that make heaven the home

          of those who believe.


I AM WHO I AM

V:25 "Who are you?" they asked.

"Just what I have been claiming all along," Jesus replied. 

26 "I have much to say in judgment of you. 

But he who sent me is reliable, 

and what I have heard from him I tell the world." 

27 They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. 

A. Unbelievers are steadfast in their opinions and refused to be enlightened.

    1. In their minds are hostility and violence.

    2. They show their disrespect by refusing to see the glory in front of them.

B. Jesus' response is always the same. I am who I am,  can

    only be understood by faith. 

   1. Without faith it is impossible to please God.

   2. Without faith one is judged by sin with the destination of eternal

       separation from the Father.

   3. The Word is true weather you believe it or not.

   4. Without accepting Jesus as the Messiah, there is no

        understanding of the Word.



THANK THE FATHER FOR JESUS


Rev. M. Mitchell

Asst Pastor Of Greater Macedonia Baptist Church

5510 West Sam Houston Parkway North

Houston, Texas 77041


For more lesson, follow me on facebook and visit my blogs

Remmitchell.com and goodnewsrevmitc.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment