Thursday, July 24, 2014

This Week's Sunday School Lesson, "One Language, One Understanding", 7/27/2014


ONE LANGUAGE, ONE UNDERSTANDING

 1 Corinthians 14:13-26

 
V:13. " For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says."

A. One of the gifts of the spirit given to the early Church was the gift of languages.

     1. The gift to speak in an unlearned language different from their native language.

     2. The gift of languages was first displayed in the early Church in Acts chapter 2.

     3. Some members of the Church begin thinking that this gift was  the most
 
       important    gift.

     4. Even today some Churches seem to think that this gift is the evidence of having

         the Holy Spirit.

     5. The word "tongue" is the Greek word glossa which means a specific language

          not acquired naturally.

 B. The Apostle Paul sets the ground work for utilizing the gift of tongues (languages)

      in public.

     1. Obviously this is a gift that is Holy Spirit controlled.

     2. Paul says that you should pray that you will be able to interpret what you are
 
        saying.

     3. How can you know what you are saying if you can not interpret?

 

V:14. " For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful."

 A. If I used by gift to pray and I don't understand what I am saying, then

     I am not fruitful to myself.

     1. Here is the misunderstanding of the use of the gift.

     2. It is not us that is controlling the conversation, but the Holy Spirit.

     3. It is the Spirit speaking through us to a particular person or group

        of  people who do not speak our language.

     4. We think the words of God as a witness and the Holy Spirit controls our

         speech in the language of the hearer.

 B. The only way the mind can be unfruitful is if I don't have an understand

      of the language that I am speaking.

 

 V:15. " So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind;   

   I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind."

 A. To be fruitful I must pray in the language that I know and others around me know.

    1. To be fruitful, I must talk in a language that I know and others know.

    2. To be fruitful, I must sing in a language that I know and others know.

 B. If we all know the same language, why speak in an unknown language?

    1. To whose benefit is an unknown language?

    2. If no one knows what I am saying, who is being edified?

 
 V:16. " If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?"

 A. If we are exercising the gift of language of the spirit and some outsider comes in

      who do not know the language, how will the outsider be brought to Christ?

    1. When we abuse the gift to puff ourselves up, there is no gain.

    2. It is possible to drive the unbeliever away from Christ when we abuse our

       gifts.

 B. God did not gives us the gift of language to make ourselves look good before
 
    others.

    1. God does not give us gifts so that we may  boast.

    2. God does not give us gifts for a display of our abilities.

 C. We are given gifts so that the body may be built up.

    1. God did not give us gifts to lift ourselves up.

    2. God did not give us gifts to impress others.

    3. God gave us gifts so that others may be drawn to Christ.

 

V:17. " You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified."

 A.  Our praise and worship should be in a language that every one can understand.

     1. If we praise God in an unknown language, who would know that we are actually

         praising God?

     2. Our language of praise must be common for all to be edified.

 B. If  I speak French and you don't know French, will you be edified?

    1. If my native language is English and someone who speaks only French

        comes to me, the gift of language becomes a useful tool to witness for

        Christ.

    2. Every believer has gifts, but not always the same gifts.

    3. Any gift we have should be held in reserve until the time comes that it

        can be useful to edify the body of Christ.

    4. Any gift can become disruptive if it is not used appropriately.

 

 V:18. " I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you."

  A. The Apostle Paul journeyed to many different cities and countries,

       preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the languages of  the people.

     1. Paul spoke many languages.

     2. Paul only spoke in the language of the people in front of him.

 B. Because Paul was commission by God to preach the Gospel to the

     Gentiles, he was gifted to preach in different languages.

    1. The native language from country to country was different.

    2. Paul spoke the native language of each country.

 C. Paul gave thanks to God for his gift of languages.

     1. Paul glorified God with his gifts.

     2. Paul edified the body with his gifts.

 

 V:19. " But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others

    than ten thousand words in a tongue."

 A. Paul did not boast in his language skills.

    1. He boasted in preaching the Gospel in whatever language necessary for

        hearers to understand Christ Jesus. 

    2. Someone with a large vocabulary who cannot communicate is of no use

        to anyone.

 B. The Gospel must be preached in the language of the people for God to get

      the Glory.

    1. We must be able to adapt our gifts to the person we are witnessing to.

    2. Gifts that are not uses out of love for the hearer will not be effective.

 

V:20. " Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your

  thinking be adults."

 A. It is children that like to show off their talents for the sake of themselves.

     1. Children like attention for their edification.

     2. Children like the praise of those around them.

 B. Mature Christians should not seek the praise of man, but seek to give

     God praise.

    1. Mature Christian should not seek to display their gifts as a sign of their

        spirituality.

    2. Mature Christians should seek every opportunity to use their gifts to

        draw others to Christ.  

 

V:21. " In the Law it is written: "Through men of strange tongues and through the lips of  foreigners I will speak to this people, but even then they will not listen to me,"  says   the Lord."

 A. We have to be careful of what voice we listen to.

      1. The voice of the flesh says take every opportunity to edify ourselves.

      2. The voice of the Spirit says take every opportunity to edify the

          body of Christ. 

 B. If I speak with an unknown language , I must be careful that I speak

      for Christ and not for myself.

    1. If I speak with an unknown language, I must be careful that body of Christ

        is edified and not the flesh of men.

    2. We all have gifts, but not all gifts should be used at all times.

 

 V:22. " Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy,

  however, is for believers, not for unbelievers."

  A. God gave us the gift of languages so that we can communicate with none

       believers who speak a different language.

      1. All gifts are to be used to draw unbelievers to Christ.

      2. If I speak to an unbeliever who only speak French, I need the gift

          speaking French to witness to him/her.

      3. If I and the unbeliever speak English, I don't need to use my gift of speaking

          French.

      4. If a group of believers all speak the same language, why speak a different

          language?

  B. If we all speak English, and I speak English words that you don't understand,

       am I communicating with you?

      1. For example: The ambience of the situation produced a calming effect on my
 
          inter   man.

          a. This is English, but do you have any idea what I said or what I meant by the

              statement?

          b. It may sound good, but I don't understand it.

      2. When we witness for Jesus, we must speak the language of the unbeliever.

 C. Prophecy which is proclaiming or teaching the Word must done in the language of
 
     the  believers so that they my be enlighten, encouraged and built up.

      1. Any gift used for selfish reasons will be ineffective.

      2. Every gift of God must be used with love for the brethren.

      

 V:23. " So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and

   some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you

   are out of your mind?"

 A. We are all in the body of Christ and must be unified with the Word of God in a

       language we can all understand.

     1. God did not gives us gifts to display as some trophy we have won, but to use
 
        them  in love so that body is built up.

     2. As an example, during one of our revivals, a visiting Pastor brought his ministers

         with him who prayed in some unknown language (tongue).

         a. After the message people come up to the altar for prayer.

         b. The visiting Pastor's ministers came and laid hands on us and prayed in this 

             unknown language.

         c. I had no idea what they were saying, so I was not enlighten, uplifted or

             encouraged.

         d. I didn't know if they were praying for me or against me.

         e. Since I didn't know the language, I was not sure they were praying to my
 
             Jesus.
 

         f. They did not bring an interpreter, so they disregarded God's command.  V:28

 B. God makes His Word plain to us through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

     1. The Holy Spirit interprets the Word of God as we study.

 

 V:24,25  " But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while

   everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be

   judged by all, and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and

   worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

  A. The better gift is to teach the Word in the common language of the people.

      1. An unbeliever will not be impressed of convicted by our gift of language

          that he does understand.

      2. Love is the key that should guide our use of gifts.

  B. Preaching the Word is for unbelievers.

      1. Teaching the Word is for believers,

      2. Preaching gets us into the Church.

      3. Teaching keeps us growing in the Church.

 
V:26. " What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn,  or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must   be done for the strengthening of the church."

 A. We must keep our focus on the purpose of teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

      1. Jesus laid down His life to save the souls of all sinners.

      2. The believers mission is given in the great commission Jesus gave His disciples.

           Matthew 28:19-20

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."  

 

B. If we teach in an unknown language that people can't understand, are we fulfilling
 
     the  great commission ?

    1. Do we edify ourselves when we display our gifts for the purpose of show

        when we speak in a language that is uncommon to the church.

    2. Our job at all times is to speak a plain language so that the body is built up.  

 

Rev. M. Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment