Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Bible Study Series: I Almost Lost It Psalms 73

 I ALMOST LOST IT


PSALMS 73


Psalms 73:1-3


73 Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. 


2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. 

3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. 


Asaph was a worship leader assigned by King David to the Tabernacle

In Jerusalem. He may have been a poet and a singer. Being dedicated

To God, he notices those who worship with their lips but not their 

hearts.



As Christians, it is ingrained in us from the moment we accept 

Jesus as our personal savior, that GOD IS GOOD. And from the

“Get Go” we expect God to give us all the good. We expect each day

To be good. Because we got Jesus.


The problem is bad things happen every day. And bad things happen

To us.   And bad things keep happening. When we focus on the bad

We forget the good God is doing.   


God is good to those with a pure heart. The question is what is a pure heart in God’s eyes? It is a person who has all the attributes 

Of Galatians  

Galatians 5:22-24

 love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 


Notice the Psalmist said he almost lost.  Something stopped him

From going into the lost column.  


But He spends time getting real with us. He gives us the root of

what troubled him.  


3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.


He compared himself to others.  They are bad people. They are arrogant. They are wicked, yet good things happen to them


We have all been there. It is not fair Lord. They don’t deserve to be

Blessed. It that age old question, why do bad things happen to

good people?  Why do good things happen to bad people?


Once we get a mindset of envy we are on a slippery slope.

But maybe we don’t think of envy, we just think of the injustice

We feel.  I am better than them yet look at their blessings


Starting in verse 4 the Psalmist continues his observation of 

The easy life of the wicked.  They don’t struggle for life, They

Don’t want for anything, They don’t get sick like normal people.

The more wicked they are, the more they prosper. 


While the righteous suffer violent acts, they prosper in violence.

They oppress others and mock God with their mouth


They knew God, but thought He didn’t care what they did. They continued To be evil and continued to increase in wealth. 


Starting in verse 13, Asaph justifies his position. I am good. I have 

Been good, I got a pure heart. I  am wasting my time. I am done

With this.  


I am troubled all day long. I get punished for what I do, what I say and

How well I treat the children of my opposition. 


In verse 16, Asaph said I tired to understand what bad things happen

To good people and good thing happen to bad people’ It was

Beyond me until I went into God’s santurary.


I considered the Word of God then I knew the good that happen to ban people is just temporary. I know what you are doing Lord. You set them on slippery ground, They will suddenly be swept away


BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE FOR GOOD REASON


Do you know Oprah Winfrey's childhood story?


According to Wikipedia, she was born into poverty in rual Mississippi

To a teenage mother.  They moved to inter city Milwaukee

 She was molested at 14 years old and became pregnant. The child, her son was born prematurely and died.  She was sent to Nashville

Tennessee to live with a man she called her father, Vernon Winfrey.


She landed a job with a radio station while in High School. At 19

She was co anchor for the local evening news 


She was transferred to a daytime talk show where she booted their

Rating to first place.  She launched her own production company



She is one of the black first billionaires. Has given over 400 million dollars to Educational causes.


Her story could have been a tragedy but God  designed  her early childhood  with all the pain of growing up poor to prepare her  for success


Starting in verse 21, Asaph took a look at himself and discovers that

The Pain and frustration with the people he considered evil was do

His ignorance and ungratefulness


He became grieved when he realized that God was always with him

Guiding and counseling him to glory


He concluded in verse 26

Psalms 73:26

26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart

and my portion forever. 


In verse 2,  Asaph said I ALMOST LOST IT, I ALMOST SLIPPED.


I Believe what stopped him from giving up on God was the Holy Spirit

Reminding him of the promises of God. The Lord can renew a 

Right spirit in us to draw close to Him.


The psalmist was reminded that his purpose and position were to 

Encourage others to follow God. I think Asaph knew how many people he would let down if he gave up on God. 


He understood that his position was not about him but the glory

Of God.


Rev. M. Mitchell


No comments:

Post a Comment